Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The word “biohazard” is a scary one, even without the threat of serious health risks. Sewer backups and flood water are two very common types biohazard that can affect homes and businesses. Other things that can cause biohazard situations include suicide/death accidents, crime scene residues, animal waste/remains, and hoarding cases. We here at SERVPRO of Grapevine/NE Tarrant County have the knowledge, expertise, protective gear and equipment to make sure everything is cleaned and restored to an environment that is safe for you and your family. If you’re wondering just what you should do when there is a biohazard emergency in your home or business, you can read a few helpful tips below.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (817) 595-2506
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Grapevine / NE Tarrant Co. has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities: