Why You Should Never Use Bleach to Kill Mold
Nobody wants mold in their home, so when you spot some, it may be a natural reaction to want to clean it yourself but think twice before you grab that bottle of bleach off the shelf. Using bleach to treat mold can actually make the problem worse! Even the EPA and OSHA have taken a strong stance against using bleach to treat mold growth.
Bleach is designed to work on surfaces that are not porous, but mold thrives in porous areas. Bleach is about 90% water, so once the chlorine evaporates, the leftover moisture creates a perfect place for mold to grow. Though it may look like the bleach has killed off the growth, it has actually only killed the top layer of growth and left the roots. These roots allow the mold to grow back stronger than ever
Bleach is toxic. Though it is great in small doses for simple cleaning tasks, you definitely don’t want to be dumping large quantities of it in your house or office. Children and pets get into everything – and this includes bleach. Even the fumes can create health problems! There are so many alternative solutions to treat mold with that there is really no reason to put your family or employees at risk by treating mold with bleach.
Bleach can actually weaken surfaces that you put it on. When bleach is used on surfaces such as wood, it begins to eat away at the fibers which weakens the structure. Even the slightest change to an important beam could have disastrous consequences!
When dealing with mold, it is important to make sure it is done right. That is why you should always leave it to a professional. Our experts will get rid of mold quickly and treat the affected areas to make sure that the growth does not come back. If you need mold remediation, call us today at 817-595-2506.