SERVPRO shares emergency tips and services needed after fire
Blog summary: SERVPRO shares emergency tips after fire damage and the fire restoration services that are necessary to bring a property back to its original state.
Emergency tips for fire damage
Fires can be traumatic for families and businesses alike. Once the firefighters are done, the mess that remains can seem daunting. A reliable, timely, and efficient fire restoration process that includes cleaning and fire debris removal through deodorization and air purification is crucial. Since fires are usually extinguished by water, a water cleanup would also be required to avoid secondary damage.
However, until a fire restoration company such as SERVPRO comes to the rescue, follow some of the emergency tips:
- Limited movement: Refrain from moving around in the house to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Cleanliness: Keep hands clean to avoid further soiling of upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Cover the furnishings: Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- Prevent spoilage: If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Coat the chrome: Clean and protect chrome with a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Save the plants: Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves to allow them to breathe.
- Protect from smoke: Change HVAC filter and tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
- Do not clean: Walls, carpets, upholstery, appliances, and garments need to be assessed professionally before choosing the method of cleaning and repair. An incorrect method of cleaning may ruin belongings or leave behind a smoke odor.
- Dispose of food and beverage: Canned or packaged products found near the fire, heat or water need to be discarded.
- Shock prevention: If the ceiling is wet, avoid turning on any fixtures since the wiring may be damaged.
What are the services required after fire damage?
Ideally, any fire restoration company like SERVPRO should include fire, smoke, and soot recovery in its repertoire of services. Recognizing different types of smoke and their behavior patterns is vital to proper restoration.
- Structural Cleaning – After smoke or fire damage, ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors will often need a thorough cleaning. A fire restoration company such as SERVPRO will pretest to determine the extent of damage, and then use the specific equipment and cleaning products required to clean and protect different types of surfaces in the structure. Depending on the amount of soot, the cost of recovery can be reduced by cleaning lighter soot deposits. In other cases, surfaces are cleared of soot to ensure the new paint adheres properly to the surface.
- Cleaning – All of the restorable contents including rugs, furniture, draperies, and upholstery must be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This is preceded by carefully inspecting and testing all fabrics to determine appropriate cleaning methods. SERVPRO can provide both wet or dry cleaning services.
- Deodorization – Various deodorization methods are available to eliminate offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage after locating the source of the odor.
- SERVPRO uses state-of-the-art equipment to bring the damaged property back to its original state. SERVPRO of Grapevine/NE Tarrant County is always updating its fleet and equipment so clients in Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, or anywhere else can quickly access the services.
- With over 1,700 US and Canadian Franchise locations, SERVPRO is strategically positioned to respond faster to an emergency of any magnitude.
- The SERVPRO staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. They receive initial in-house training and constant skill up-gradation at the corporate training facility and also acquire the regular IICRC-industry certification.
For fire restoration services, call SERVPRO® of Grapevine/NE Tarrant County today at (817) 595-2506 or e-mail at office@SERVPROheb.com