If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (817) 595-2506

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO recommends fire safety tips for common electrical appliances

8/12/2021 (Permalink)

Blog summary: SERVPRO talks about fire safety tips that homeowners can follow to prevent fires due to malfunctioning appliances.

Appliance fire safety tips

Modern technology and innovative equipment have simplified lives tremendously. From simple chores to complex tasks, almost all chores are now being performed by advanced machinery and technology. This comfort is accompanied by the risk of electrical fire hazards in homes. According to the US Fire Administration, 25,000 electrical fires are recorded every year. SERVPRO of Grapevine suggests important tips that can help prevent electrical appliance fires.

Here are some fire safety tips for some of the common home appliances:

  1. Washing Machine 
  • Ensure the washing machine is properly connected and grounded.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions.
  • Do not overload the washing machine.
  • Maintain the plastic components on the interior of the door that are responsible for releasing the detergent. Faulty ones cause water to leak over the machine’s internal wires, resulting in a fire.
  • Dry the clothes that have come in contact with flammable substances, such as gasoline or paint thinner, before washing them.
  1. Clothes Dryer
  • Ground the dryer and keep the nearby area free of combustible substances.
  • Always use a lint filter and clean the lint from the screen and around the drum before or after each use.
  • Vent dryers directly outside using rigid or flexible metal venting materials. The air exhaust vent pipe must be unrestricted and the outdoor vent flap opens freely.
  • Clean out the lint from the vent pipe once a year or more often if clothes take longer than normal to dry.
  • Opt for metal vent pipes to ensure proper airflow.
  • Get gas dryers regularly inspected by a qualified professional.
  1. Electric or Gas Ranges
  • ??Remove grease or other flammable debris from the burner, stovetop, or oven. 
  • Never leave combustible items near ovens.
  • Always supervise the range when cooking and switch it off when leaving the kitchen.
  • Roll up sleeves, tie back long hair, and wear non-slip footwear when cooking.
  • Before using the range, make sure it doesn’t smell of gas inside the oven or near it. If it does, open a window and call a professional immediately.
  • Make sure the oven and the hood are safely connected.
  • Install safety devices such as stove safety guards, stove knob stops, and stove locking straps, especially in a house full of kids.
  • Be careful and alert when frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling.
  • Turn pot handles inward to avoid accidentally knocking a pot off the stove.
  • Never pour water over a grease fire as this can encourage the flaming oil to spread swiftly and uncontrollably. Use a powder fire extinguisher, baking soda, salt, or wet rags to douse the flames.
  • Install a smoke alarm designed for kitchens to avoid false alarms during normal cooking activities.
  1. Refrigerator
  • The fridge must be powered as safely and efficiently as possible.
  • The power cord and electrical outlet must be inspected for wear and tear.
  • Clean the back of the fridge or freezer regularly. Accumulation of dirt at the back of the appliance is one of the most common causes of fridge fires.
  1. Dishwasher
  • Never leave the dishwasher on when going to bed or before leaving the house.
  • Avoid using extension cords. Use a grounded wall socket to power the dishwasher.
  • Check the plastic components that release the detergent on the interior of the door. If these components are damaged, the water can leak over the machine’s internal wires, causing a fire.
  1. Electric Heater
  • Keep heaters at least 3 feet away from flammable materials like paper, drapes, or carpet.
  • Place heaters on a stable, horizontal surface (preferably on the floor). Do not put it on any furniture.
  • Keep heaters away from the bathroom and away from water.
  • Never touch the heater with wet hands as it can cause electrical shock.
  • If the cord, plug, and wall outlet are hot to the touch, unplug the heater immediately and call a professional for an inspection.
  • Never leave a heater unattended, especially with kids and pets as they may knock it down or get accidentally burnt upon touching the hot surface.
  1. Microwave Oven
  • Always use microwave-safe dishes. Never use aluminum foil or metal in a microwave oven, as they can ignite a fire. 
  • Do not use microwaves for drying or sterilizing baby bottles, clothes, or blankets.
  • Clean the food debris, grease, or stains regularly from the microwave and its outer edge.

Every piece of equipment that operates on electricity or gas presents safety risks. In addition to the above-described general safety tips, you need to take some special precautionary measures for every individual appliance in your home.

To ensure electrical fire safety, you are recommended to register newly bought appliances on the manufacturer’s website – this way, you will receive updates on safety information about your household appliance, as well as notifications if the product is recalled.

Following these safety tips ensures that fires due to negligence are avoided as much as possible. For fire restoration services, call the SERVPRO team to restore the house to its original glory.


  • SERVPRO uses state-of-the-art equipment to bring the damaged property back to its original state. SERVPRO of Grapevine/NE Tarrant County is constantly updating its fleet and equipment so clients in Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, or surrounding areas can quickly access the services. 
  • With over 1,700 US and Canadian Franchise locations, SERVPRO is strategically positioned to respond faster to an emergency of any magnitude.
  • The SERVPRO staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. They receive initial in-house training and constant skill up-gradation at the corporate training facility and also acquire the regular IICRC-industry certification.

For fire damage restoration, call SERVPRO of Grapevine/NE Tarrant County today at (817) 595-2506 or e-mail at office@SERVPROheb.com

Other News

View Recent Posts